Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Rejection, submission and fortuitousness

"The Dearness of Bodies in Motion," a realistic fiction tale, came back today from Alaska Quarterly Review, which is located in New Jersey, since no one actually lives in Alaska. After some research (and factoring in the relevant data that a street in my childhood hometown was called Sycamore), I sent the story on to The Sycamore Review.

I realized a day or two ago, though I then forgot, only to later recall, that a male character in my story "Unearthed" should be female; it made the character's presence much more plausible and opened up the story in other ways. This led to some research which turned up facts that made my choice of a this particular female protagonist (who is a Mohawk; and who was a Mohawk when she was a he) in this particular occupation even more perfect than I'd known, and this led me further to a legendary tale related by Canadian Mohawk writer Pauline Johnson that fit my story so perfectly, I had a bit of a scare. How strange and wonderful, and now I feel more confident about my tale.

4 comments:

S. E. Johnson said...

Strange and wonderful, indeed. It's this sort of moment--along w/ everything else about your wonderousativity--that keeps me coming to this blog on a quite-nearly-regular basis.

And, on a side note, I've been meaning to recommend this to you: http://www.amazon.com/Portraits-Few-People-Ive-Made/dp/1558498583/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1292450962&sr=8-1.

William Preston said...

My friend, I thank you and thank you.

I've summoned the Sneed book forth from the cornucopiac depths of my library--which has but one copy, and that one "in processing" (and thus as yet unripe). How'd you come upon it?

S. E. Johnson said...

My office is next to hers. ;) I shamelessly promote my friends and colleagues; thus, my running up and down the halls of my office suite with copies of Preston-filled /Asimov's/.

William Preston said...

You're a good man.

The library's taking its sweet time getting me Ms. Sneed's book.